Business Traineeship - Tourism Focus
Location: City of Victor Harbor Council - SA
Who is Statewide Group Training
Statewide Group Training (SA) Incorporated is an independent, community-based not for profit organisation that has been servicing the employment and training needs of South Australian apprentices and trainees, business, and industry for over 30 years.
Certificate 3 in Business (BSB30120)
The City of Victor Harbor is offering a 18-month traineeship for an enthusiastic and motivated person to work in the Council’s City Activation unit, to be based at the newly redeveloped Victor Harbor Visitor Centre.
The position will support the daily operations of the Victor Harbor Visitor Centre, including the South Australian Whale Centre, while providing administrative support for tourism and marketing related projects and tasks.
The position will ideally suit someone who is looking to forge a career in the area of tourism. The role will require the person to balance study while working in the position. Local year 12 school leavers are encouraged to apply.
Duties may include -
- Assist with customer service functions including the receiving and directing incoming enquiries from phone, online and counter at the Victor Harbor Visitor Centre.
- Facilitate and refer booking enquiries through local and regional tourism operators.
- Provide support and updates to volunteers on upcoming events and changes to accommodation and visitor experiences.
- Maintain local business and consumer databases to be utilised by the centre and the broader City Activation unit.
- Collect and enter data relating to visitation in the centre and through other electronic or online means.
- Assist with volunteer rostering.
- Assist in the scanning and capturing of incoming correspondence, as required.
- Undertake opening and closing procedures of the visitor centre and whale interpretive centre.
- Undertake general administrative functions in the centre.
- Contribute to the updating of the Victor Harbor tourism website, social media pages and other tourism related platforms.
- Assist with the processing of whale sighting information including updating the sighting logs and social media.
- Concierge the arrival of customers associated with the education programming at the centre.
- Assist with end of day functions and finance related tasks linked to the centre.
About you -
- Ability to deliver high level of customer service.
- Genuine interest in pursuing a career in the area of tourism.
- Extent of local knowledge and awareness of visitor experiences.
- Developing level of computer and digital literacy.
- Engaging communication skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Developing problem-solving skills.
- A driver’s license.
- Successful completion of Year 12 or equivalent.
- A proven desire to develop professional skills and experience.
- Developing knowledge of Council’s policies, procedures and responsibilities.
- Developing knowledge of and awareness of Work Health Safety responsibilities.
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining your interest and suitability to the position.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.